Friday, December 7, 2012

Day 342: Puerto Rican Lizard Cuckoo

Back in March, I posted several birds that we saw in Puerto Rico, including the Mangrove Cuckoo. I also mentioned that I really had hoped to photograph a Puerto Rican Lizard Cuckoo, but unfortunately, I never got to see one.

Towards the end of our trip, Jared and I decided to hike on a trail that was supposed to be particularly good for Puerto Rican Lizard Cuckoos. It was a very hot day, and we were sweltering and exhausted by the end of the long hike, with no lizard cuckoo. FINALLY, at the very end of the trail, we heard one call! There was no mistaking it, this bird has a very distinctive call (you can here it at this link at about the 15 second mark: http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/portal/species/overview?p_p_spp=203576).

Long story short, we were closing in on it, following it down the trail as we heard it call every few minutes. Jared caught a quick glimpse of the bird, but I scared it away when I rushed over to see it. No photo, nothing.

I really wanted a photo, because it's a very cool looking bird (see below, but not my picture):

No comments:

Post a Comment