Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 28: Prairie Warbler

We had an incredibly fun day birding the eastern shore of Maryland! This was the first day that I got to test out our new camera lens, and it was a big success. I can't wait to share all of the great photos that I got during the next few weeks! Tomorrow, I'll probably do a bonus post with some tidbits from our trip. Tonight, I'm pretty tuckered out, so just one post. It's a good one, though, and I think I'll let the photos do the talking.

On Assateague this morning, we heard that fellow birder Rob Ostrowski had seen a Prairie Warbler. We decided to take a look and were lucky to find the beautiful male Prairie Warbler. Though the Prairie Warbler is common in Maryland during the breeding season, it normally spends the winter in the most southern U.S. and the Caribbean. According to eBird (a site we use to keep track of the birds that we see), this was the northern most January sighting of a Prairie Warbler ever.



The warbler hung around for a good ten minutes, flitting around in some trees and bushes, finally landing on the ground right in front of us. You can also see him gulping down a little green bug. Such a cute and colorful bird...enjoy the photos!






No comments:

Post a Comment