Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 83: Puerto Rican Vireo

One bird on our "most wanted" list during our trip is an endemic species to Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rican Vireo. I have to say, this little bird made me WORK for a photo, and I didn't even end up with a great one. We found the vireo at the end of a long day of birding, so I was already tired lugging the camera around. Of course, the bird was not content to pose for me out in the open. Instead, it flew back and forth in some bushes, scrambling twig to twig, barely pausing long enough for me to move my camera. After what felt like an eternity of chasing the darn thing (which was probably only 5 minutes), I managed to snap a couple of somewhat okay shots. I'm glad to have gotten something for my efforts, at least, unlike a few birds that I will post about later with no photos.






 Eluding me again....

The Puerto Rican Vireo has a gray head, a white breast and a yellowish belly. They mostly eat insects and berries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment