Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 69: Bald Eagle

This is my last full post for a while, because Jared and I are headed out tonight for a fun vacation! We're going to Puerto Rico with Jared's mom, dad, and sister, and I can't wait! So, when this post goes live, I will probably be on an airplane headed to paradise. Aren't you jealous?

The good news is, I will still be posting, but mostly just photos the next few days (the wonders of modern technology). When I return, I'll hopefully have a whole slew of great Puerto Rican birds to share with you!

Though I've seen quite a few the past few years, I'm still in awe every time I see today's bird, the Bald Eagle. I think the first time I saw one was on a family trip to Seattle when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, we saw a Bald Eagle fly by a window during dinner one evening, and just got a glimpse. Bald Eagles are pretty easy to see in Maryland, if you know where to look. Last year at a particular nature reserve, we saw at least 30-40 Bald Eagles during one trip. Pretty amazing.



Bald Eagles are the national bird and symbol of the U.S. They can be found throughout much of the continental U.S. and parts of Alaska, Canada, and Mexico. Adult Bald Eagles are mainly brown with a white head and tail. The sexes are identical in plumage, but females are larger than males.

Juvenile Bald Eagle




Though its numbers were in severe decline in the lower 48 states in years past, on June 28, 2007, the Bald Eagle was removed from the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife. They are opportunistic feeders, but mostly eat fish. Just a few weeks ago, we saw a group of Bald Eagles and vultures feeding on a deer carcass in the middle of a field.



No comments:

Post a Comment