Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 334: Eastern Screech-owl

The Eastern Screech-Owl is much easier to hear than to see. In spite of my efforts, I haven't put eyes on one, but I've heard several during our adventures around Maryland. It is very identifiable by its distinct song, so I'm still counting it towards this list.

You can hear the call of an Eastern Screech-Owl here: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Screech-Owl/id

Playing a tape of a screech owl call will often bring curious birds flocking to the scene, eager to get a look at the unwanted intruder. Screech owls are strictly nocturnal, roosting during the day in cavities or next to tree trunks. They live east of the Rocky Mountains from southern Canada to Mexico.

This is not my photo, but here's a picture of an Eastern Screech-Owl:


No comments:

Post a Comment